Thread: S/PDIF output
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 01:29 PM
Avid

Default Re: S/PDIF output

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Thanks for the new S/PDIF out at the ADAT ports.

I'm trying to get this to work - I've set both ADAT 1 & 2 to S/PDIF in the hardware -> Optical i/o dialog box.

I'm outputting MON to A1-2 and have the Carbon connected to an RME ADI-2 Pro fs. This is connected to my speakers. I know the RME ADI-2 works like this because I normally have my RME Babyface connected to it, so I've just moved the cable across from the Babyface to the Carbon ADAT1 out.

PT plays back - I can see the meters working - but the RME displays "SPDIF NON-AUDIO" on the sync page.
The explanation in the RME manual is:
"But SPDIF and AES can also transport AC-3 and DTS encoded surround sound. This signal sounds like chopped noise at full volume. Therefore the ADI-2 Pro receiver circuit checks the Non-Audio flag within the Channel Status. If found the signal is already muted directly in the receiver. An error message is shown in red colour in the lowest line, saying SPDIF NON- AUDIO, explaining why there is no sound at the analog outputs despite a valid input signal."

So, am I configuring something wrong with the output of the Carbon, or is it just not compatible with the RME ADI-2?

Thanks

Dominic
Hi Dominic,

Looks like you just need to mult the MON L-R output mapping to ADAT 1-2 in I/O setup. See the steps starting on page 20 here, for info on how to do that.
Berkeley, CA