View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Freeze vs Commit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Rick View Post
I'm running Pro Tools 2021.10.0 and haven't ever used the Track Commit or Freeze options. Can you explain the differences between them and give me real world examples of the benefits of each? Are there any Cons in using either?
It partly depends on what you care freezing/committing and why?

MIDI tracks I tend to leave uncommitted as I am working on the arrangement. You can edit MIDI notes/transpose far better with MIDI and of course change or layer the sound easily.

Same thinking for guitar tracks with virtual amps. You can pick up the same guitar, add extra parts and such months later and get the same tone if needed.

For audio, I use Elastic Audio quite a lot and I tend to leave this uncommitted for the same reason. There always seems an extra edit or tweak required along the way!

I used Freeze when it came out but didn't find it didn't work well for me. That said, I gave it a spin earlier this year and it seemed to work as advertised. The Commit function I use instead, but normally keep the original tracks inactive and hidden just in case.

For archiving, you'll want to consolidate and commit the audio for future retrevial. There's probably a good chance some plugins might not make it into the future so good to print it just in case.

Much of the need to freeze or commit for reasons of saving on the CPU will disappear as the CPUs get more and more powerful.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6