View Single Post
Old 04-12-2022, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Help With Roland Drums Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
There are two ways you can record your drums into Pro Tools.

If you want to record the audio output from the roland sound module, you would take both the left and right audio outputs and run them into separate line inputs on the UA interface. Then you would add a stereo track to PT and assign the inputs to wherever the Roland is connected to the UA interface. This will allow you to keep the UA as the playback engine interface and you wouldn’t have to switch.

If you want to record the MIDI data in PT, then you would add a MIDI track. Since this only records the MIDI information, you would need to insert a virtual instrument on the MIDI track that has drum sounds. When you play that track back, it will trigger the sounds in the VI.
So I ran from the audio outs on the brain of the Roland, but my UA interface only has 2 outs for monitors and one more L/R out. Is this the problem? I don't know how else to get the sound into the interface. If I want to record the Roland sounds to an audio track I still have to switch back and forth in my playback engine. Is the lack of audio inputs on my interface the issue? It's a new Apollo Twin X, I can't imagine not being able to do something this basic.

Thanks!