View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Questions about the hardware needed for Pro Tools 10 HD

Using HD software without at least an HD core card will mean you get no TDM plugins(which will be DOA when 11 rolls out anyway) so I don't see that as a big issue(was much more important with less-powerful computers from years gone by). I assume there are some other minor things you will lose, but I don't know what they are(and don't miss them). What you DO get with HD software and an ASIO interface is; all the features of the CPTK(a $2000 add-on), plus input monitoring per track(very handy for my needs) and those are well worth it(to me). I have a bit more affection for my 003 as its the controller version, and there is(to my way of thinking) a certain elegance with how well the 003 integrates(other 3rd party boxes often require some kind of routing/monitoring utility which I don't need). I do all my tracking at the 64 buffer setting and rarely even hear a mention about latency(I know which plugins to NOT use while tracking and keep ADC off until its time to mix). Sure, the 003 may not have the best sounding converters(but I defy anyone to name a song that WOULD have been a hit if only it was recorded thru netter converters) but my "money" channels bypass the 003 A>D anyway(Using a Focusrite ISA-428 w/digital card for my important 8 channels). If all you need is a few inputs, then I agree there are better choices(sonically), but if you will be bypassing with a lightpipe and/or SPDIF path, a used 003 is still a pretty solid choice(and a bargain if you shop around) The Focusrite firewire boxes are a great 3rd party option and RME is generally considered way better(but a bit more $$).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave