View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003, 06:43 PM

Default OT: A/D converters

Hey all.. I think I've finally convinced the owner to sink some more money into the studio, we're looking at upgrading our A/D converters. Currently, we record into HD24's, which actually have decent converters.. Their not the greatest, but their not as bad as the regular 20bit ADAT's we were using.. Basically, we're looking for a good mix of quality and price.. Maybe in the $2000 - $2500 range, used would be preferred as we are eBay addicts

Anyway, I've looked at the Apogee AD16 and liked that, just wondering what the thoughts were, or if someone had a good website that rounded them all up and did a good review.. Samples would actually be nice Maybe something that records some sound like an acoustic guitar, then splits the signal after the preamp and sends one to a 002 converter and the other to an Apogee Converter.. We just want to know what will benefit us the best and looking for some direction.. We'd also like more than 8 channels because, on occasion, we've tracked drums and used 10 mic's.. (think 80's power rock band).. So, from the little bit I've read, I'd probably want all actual recorded "keeper" tracks to go through the converter, as sending one through and one night could yield some differences in latency..

Anyway, any help would definitely be appreciated and when you're down here in Sunny Florida for vacation sometime, we'll show you the good places in town and buy you a drink of your choice

eric