View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Songs Sound Different When Exported

farrantch,

I'm gonna get pretty basic here because it is hard for me to tell how much you know about PT. If it's too basic, just ignore this post.

In PT, you can select a number of track types (Audio, Aux, MIDI, Instrument, Master) by going to Track>New and selecting them. I know you know some of this because you have tracks in a session that you are bouncing (in some format or another). Make sure you add a Master Track to each of your sessions and leave the Fader at 0 DBFS. All of your other tracks should default their output to Output 1-2. This is not bussing them, this is routing their output. The Master Track should route these to physical outputs 1-2 (the main outputs where you should have your monitors hooked up).

Make sure the output meter on the Master Track never goes above 0 DBFS as your seession plays.

When you bounce your session to disk, select WAV, 16 bit, 44,100 Hz. Don't bounce as an mp3.

This problem you are having is not typical. When we see these kinds of problems expressed on the DUC, there is usually a problem with the way the session was set up (no Master Track), the session is bounced to an inferior format (like mp3), or mastering was attempted without understanding how to master.

The other thing we usually suggest if all of the above is OK is to bounce your session then import the bounced file back into a new PT session and listen to it. If the bounced/imported file sounds fine in PT, then it really means something is very different (not right) with the application you are using to listen to the bounced file.

Hope this helps,
Greg