View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Can I use my old MBox on a Win 10 PC?

I was going to post the same comments as Dave. But I'll add you will also get better audio quality with more modern interfaces. The Original Mbox is notably worse there to me than say the MBox 3 Pro. So for multiple reasons it's likely just not worth your time.

There is a long list of third party vendors who make great interfaces. In no order... Universal Audio, Apogee, RME, Motu, Focusrite, Presonus, ... an amazing range of stuff out there. But some other vendors I'd avoid.

Avid has a new Mbox out, my preference would be to avoid Avid and use third party products. Avid has earned an unfortunately bad support reputation especially for consumer/prosumer hardware. My own bias is to RME, who's (pricier than many) interfaces come with really high quality drivers, very long term engineering support and good customer support/forum help.

The Focusrite 2i2 is the canonical beginner interface frequently recommended here, but there are many many other choices and a massive range of additional capabilities and features available in other interfaces.

You can look for interfaces that have MIDI, but you can also use low-cost stand alone USB to MIDI adapter. So I would not make it an absolute requirement that your interface has MIDI. If you outline what you are after folks here can make suggestions. Include what you are doing/what mics you use, if you need digital (S/PDIF, AES/EBU, ADAT, etc.) connections? How many preamps, line in, line outs, separate headphone outs etc. you would like.