View Single Post
Old 02-18-2023, 06:10 AM

Default Re: clocking doesn't match sample rate

To anyone who might be looking for answers to this type of issue now, or in the future, I'd like to expand a bit on what I think what is happening here.

When I experienced something like this a long time ago, the cause of it was recording stuff in a PT session set to one sample rate, and using a clock source (session setup) set to a different sample rate.

I think I got files with this problem from other people, but I guess I might have done it to myself also, because I often used a second converter connected via ADAT to expand my input count. I would create a 44.1 session (CDs were still around), set the clock source to ADAT (necessary for syncing the two converters), fail to notice that the external converter was running at 48kHz, and record away.

As long as the clock source was connected, the session would record and play back at 48, and no one would notice. If it was disconnected, or the clock source set to internal, the session would play at 44.1 and pitch and slow down. Also, if I tried to import the audio in other programs, it would play at the wrong speed because they were 'stamped' 44.1, having been recorded in a 44.1 session (but effectively at 48 because of the external clock.)

The solution is easy; I explained it above.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 02-18-2023 at 06:26 AM.