View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Recorded audio is not playing back in sync with other tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLracing View Post
I recently purchased a copy of Pro Tools 11 (the student version) and a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 interface. When I purchased the equipment, I intended to record guitar/drum/bass/piano tracks, then master them and have decently professional sounding demos.

As soon as I finished installing the software and setting up the hardware, I immediately tested it by attempting to lay down a guitar track over a drum sample that had come with Pro Tools. Unfortunately, upon playing back the recorded mix, I was surprised to hear that my guitar playing sounded off time with the drums. Thinking that my playing must be a little rusty, I attempted multiple times to rerecord the part with tighter rhythm, but even though my guitar playing sounded perfectly in time through the monitors as I played, when I went back to listen to the recorded tracks, they were always off time.

First I suspected that latency was to blame, but I got my system running with a 64 sample buffer and a total round trip latency of 10.2 milliseconds (as measured by a Centrance ASIO latency tester), which is about the time it takes sound waves to travel 12 feet at sea level and shouldn't be significant. Even when I turned on direct monitoring (which should have almost no latency, the problem persisted). Not only that, but I could easily play along with the tracks on time while recording. It was only when I went to play them back that I could tell they were out of sync.

So, I'm wondering why my recorded tracks aren't syncing properly. Do I need to calibrate something in Pro Tools? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi,

Have you got delay compensation turned on?
Are you playing through any plugins?
Do you have any plugins on the mix bus?
Are all tracks routed to the same bus/output?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.