View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Old school vs new school VCA vs Routed Folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Routed folders are actually auxes, only displayed differently, so both the question and the answer are similar to vca's vs auxes.

VCA's are controlling the source tracks and are limited to volume adjustments only. Routed folders have a bus input and output, inserts and can use sends, but all processing is done after the original source tracks.

If you want to use lots of sends and volume automation on the source tracks you might want to stick to vca's. If you prefer to split your tracks into (lots of) food groups and mix with auxes you can switch to routed folders.
New benefits to routed folders over auxes are the ability to finally do proper solos and vca-spill-like-features (don't know the name) which weren't available for auxes before.
Downside to routed folders are probably bugs which change each software release, and pitfalls like you can put a track into a routed folder but that doesn't mean it is routed to that folder, it can be routed to somewhere else. These things might change in future release or might have changed in the meantime already.

I prefer auxes and would switch to routed folders for the spill and solo features alone.
I can't answer for any body else but for my work flow I now use routing folders almost exclusive over VCA or group Aux tracks .

And to clarify (and maybe you already know this but ) if you want to put a track/s into an existing Routing folder then yes you have manually change the routing. But if you are want a New routing folder to put tracks selected tracks into And also have it auto routed to that Routing Folder's Input) than rather than drag and drop the track/s into a pre made Folder ,,,,, you can simply highlight the track/s
click for the dropdown > select "Move to" > select routing folder and in that dropdown the is a check box to auto route to that new folder

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...