View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Do I need a DI box to run into Eleven rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
No and no. As in no don't do either. For input, the Eleven Rack really will not need any more gain. For output, you never run a low impedance signal into a DI box, that is the reverse of what they are designed to do. Just not ever any reason to do either of these things, and they won't help you "get a clean tone".

Start by getting the clean tone you want with the Eleven Rack live and then try recording that either with the Eleven Rack as the interface or going out via S/PDIF into the MBox Pro.. The Eleven Rack can produce some nice clean tones. With all this talk about DIs etc. I'm guessing you are focusing on trying to record and use the dry guitar signal and if so that is likely the cause of problems you are having. Get focused on a good clean wet guitar signal from the Eleven Rack.
Thank you for your reply.
So What you're saying is run a S/PDIF from eleven not an analogue XLR. If yes, is it possible the reason eleven sounded crap was because I used XLR to mbox to record rather than digital?

And yes, Im trying to record using dry guitar sound but I thought Id try some of eleven's clean simulations given guitar rigs are pretty rubbish.
WD Black SATA 7200
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Mbox3 Pro Firewire 400
ProTools 10.3.8
ProTools 11.3.1

https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe