View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Can I use DIGI 002 Control Surface with newer Audio Interface?

Thank you for helping out, yeah I'm in the stone age with old gear but 1 thing at a time and it seems like what you are saying I can at least get a better preamps...

100% Stupid question, is an external mic pre different than an Audio Interface/IO like the Scarlett etc..?

*For what I am doing with the DIGI 002 is just guitar and vocals and using a Kemper Stage with the SPDIF.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You could use an external mic pre with a digital connection, which would bypass the A>D converters(so you can keep using the 002 as the main interface and control surface). Your choice depends on your budget, and how many channels you want. Examples:
1-for 2 channels of stellar preamps, the API A2D connected to the SPDIF input. Price range: $1500(used) to around $2K. This is 2 channels of API-312, which many of use think is the best API preamp.
2-for 8 channels of fantastic drum recording, the Midas XL-48 connected to the Optical(ADAT) input. Around $900. This is 8 channels of Midas XL-4 preamps(the XL-4 is considered one of the very best live mixing consoles ever made).
There are many other options at prices from around $200 up to around $3K and I have used almost every one of them and the above are my best recommendations. The Midas beat my Vintech Neve clones and my API clones hands down on drums

I would also start saving for a future upgrade for a few reasons. #1-the 002 is going to die at some point(and is already no longer supported). #2-you are stuck at Windows 7, which is also no longer supported(so at some point, you will need to come into the 21st century). The good news is that any digital preamp like I mentioned is going to still work with a newer interface(as long as it has the proper connections). You will also want to look at a separate control surface when the time comes.