View Single Post
Old 03-21-2002, 08:40 AM

Default Quick Time Question for Mr T. . .

Mr. T.,

I've searched some of your posts concerning quick time issues, and you seem to be the resident authority. I need some information if you would be so kind as to lend me some help.

I recently started working with quicktime - small 30 sec. & 60 sec. ad's - and I've noticed that it really chokes my performance while trying to score to the video. When I try to advance in the play window it takes about a second per frame (if I'm zoomed in to the point where I can actually see the frames and what's happening in them). I'm wondering if this is because I have only one hard drive. (?)

My system is a G4 733, Quicksilver, with a 40g ata, 7200 rpm. I'm assuming (although I know how dangerous assumptions can be) that reading video and audio from the same drive is choking my system. I have my buffer size set as high as possible, and I have about 400meg of ram allocated to PTLE use. So it appears I've got my system at its highest possible performance.

Do you feel it would increase my performance if I were to install another ata drive and dedicate it to video only? I've searched until my eyes hurt and can find nothing that pertains to ata drives and quicktime - perhaps I missed something in my fatigued state. Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.gidakdigital.com