View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 05:04 PM

Default Nugen VisLM Settings for Theatrical Commercial and DVD

Hey, everyone. I am doing scoring, sound design, and mixing on a commercial that will be surround for its theatrical version, and stereo for DVD. This is my first mix for either medium, having minimal experience in broadcast. I only have my NS-10M set up, so the client will be having the surround mix done elsewhere. I have been using Nugen's VisLM to mix commercials for broadcast, hitting around -24 using the ITU-R B.S. 1770 LKFS preset, integrated. This has been fine so far. What I have read about film levels seems to make use of leq(m) measurements. However, everything I've read on the subject is from years ago. Please tell me I can use Nugen's VisLM to hit spec for DVD and theatrical? If so, how and to what spec?

I know about calibrating and using your ears. Please save that advice for another post. I hear you, but that advice is just not helpful to me right now. Can anyone advise on a metering solution to hit spec for DVD and theatrical commercials? Can I use what I have? Help?!?! Deadline Monday.