View Single Post
Old 01-13-2003, 05:35 AM

Default who uses the renaissance compressor in mastering?...and some other mastering stuff...

I did a mix yesterday using the ren comp and L1 in my mastering session and thought it sounded huge!!! Is this common practice? Anyone else subscribe to this ideology? I also used the ren EQ 6 band to boost some upper mid (3-5K) and a add a little at 8K or so...and then the inevitable cut of around 4.5 DB at around 400 as it seems no matter how I EQ individual tracks, anything I do with 001 and the presonus teamed up seem to be super rich in low mids, very boxy.

As far as EQ in mastering, I read some threads about do's and dont's on the subject. Many people had said not to boost beyond 1 or 2 DB when tweaking master EQ???!! What!? You tweak until it sounds right in my opinion, and if something needs a major boost, mastering or not you slap it down. I dont necessarily agree with the idea that you need to make further adjustments in mixing if your EQ is drastic in mastering, if it sounds good do it! Any thoughts?