View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Advice Needed on Best Use of Mics/Preamps for Live Recor

Sounds like a great learning experience! You made some mistakes and learned for the next time. This is the kind of thing that makes better engineers. One thing you may not have noticed, most keyboards with stereo outputs will sum to mono when you use a single output(usually the Left out is labeled L/MONO). When you patched into the R out, you probably got half the keys to the house and half to protools. Next time, either take both sides to the PA and protools, OR split or "Y" the Left out to both so you don't lose info. You also might consider recording the midi from the keyboard and let the midi track "play" the keyboard later so you can record it in stereo. That e902 would likely do well on bass but my fav is the UA LA-610 as it sounds great recorded AND great thru a decent PA. I noticed that your vocals are 4 different mics. You might get better results(and way better wedges) by using all the same model(I'm partial to the Shure Beta58A or Sennheiser e835). Snare is usually best with an SM57. You could also rent a 24 track HD recorder(Alesis or Mackie) and import the tracks into Protools later.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave