View Single Post
Old 05-04-2022, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Post Production - where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I am writing from my experience derived from observing of trainees passed through my studio.
1. It is much easier for everyone when a person comes from some film education.
Its important to understand - were are in post production are not just the sound people, we are a part of the movie making process.
You must learn, love and live cinema.
2. I personally don't believe that being an intern, guarantees you something or even speeds up the thing. Don't think only about yourself. Ask what makes people working in post for so long. Try to be a part of it.
3. Stop thinking of Pro Tools, plugins, consoles, machines as of creative tools. They are not. They are just tools. Sometimes amazing tools...but still tools. Learn what should be achieved first in term of movie making. You'll find the right tools for it later.
4. Go study in a film school. You'll meet there people which might be your clients one day or your links to the industry. Again - we are film makers nothing less.
This is all very true in music work too. My experience with interns has been that only a tiny few "get it" and most don't. The job is really all about solving problems. No two projects are ever the same so there can be no formulas. In fact I'll often throw a wild card in to make sure that I remain objective.