View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools M1 support - dec 27th (beta)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I was curious about this statement: "Pro Tools will still launch by default using Rosetta 2 but users can switch to run natively and try out the improved performance as well as using partner plugins."

Will there be a Rosetta2/Apple Silicon switch programmed at the startup for Protools? Or will we manually disable Rosetta 2 before starting Protools to run in Apple silicon native mode? Or will we be able to switch from Rosetta 2 mode to Apple Silicon Native mode on the fly while running Protools? I don't know about the software architecture so I am curious if we switch to run Protools in Apple Silicon Native but encounter a non-native plugin, with Protools switch back to Rosetta 2, or the plugin won't run, or Protools will crash? My limited understanding is it needs to all be Apple Silicon Native or all be Rosetta 2. I realize that this is a dilemma that we anticipated, but it still part of the transition process and growing pains we face.
There is not such thing really as "switching on the fly". A process has to be either Intel (run under Rosetta) or Apple Native. Avid could have something in Pro Tools you check and then have it fully restart but each developer reinventing the wheel each time they want to do stuff is not a good idea. What I would expect Avid (or anybody else) to do is utilize the standard Mac way of handling forcing or disabling Rosetta for a universal binary. Which is bring up the information panel for that app and check or uncheck the "Open Using Rosetta" check box. I expect Avid will just ship with "Open Using Rosetta" checked and let the user uncheck that if if they want to try running Apple silicon native.

While it's technically possible for vendors to do what Apple did with Logic Pro and support Intel plugins in an Apple silicon native DAW (they run Intel plugins in a separate host process running under Rosetta) I doubt (==guess) Avid, or most vendors would do that. It's a lot of work and risks destabilizing stuff more, and oh which DAW out there already has a bad reputation for plugin CPU processing issues..., and the world is well into the migration to Apple Silicon so time to look forwards not backwards.

Maybe time to start working out now what plugins you really need to have on Apple silicon and watching those vendors for announcements.

More here: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=422689