View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Let's clear the air, folks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Perception is reality. Reality is the truth for each individual. Truth is universal.
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant B View Post
This is all wrong except the last sentence. In fact everything prior to the last sentence would negate the truth of the last sentence if they were true. Perception is not reality. I can perceive that my girlfriend is in love with me and would never do anything to cause me harm. That doesn't lend to any truths, as we all should know. Let's leave the philosophy to the philosophers.
How can you say perception is not reality? If that's what your girlfriend wants you to perceive then that is your reality. And I mean "wants you to perceive" is the old saying "smile in my face but behind my back they talk trash." But if she is blatantly dogging you, cheating, and spending all your money on Pro Tools updates and breaking your bank, all in your face without a care for your feelings, and you "perceive" that as love, then that my friend is not perception. That's confusion or denial or a whole list of other f'ed up syndromes only a shrink would know.

Then, how can you say reality is not truth? I mean, what's real is true. You can't say that the real physical computer monitor I am staring at is false. I can see and touch it. It's there. It's true. Benoni is absolutely correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Business is a process that starts long before a product ships and often continues long after. You are not considering,
1) who wrote the spec for the coders
2) who payed all the coders
3) who ever makes perfect anything
4) what is the next product
5) who is going to code the next one...... (starts the day the first one is released..... maybe even earlier)
facilities, HR, sales, and a ton of others.........

The price is set by the company. Success is in the marketplaces hands.......
The huge success from mass amounts of sales will pay all of that. None of those people are gonna get paid anything if the product doesn't sell. Hence, 200 laid off workers, not getting paid! That 200 is only the start. If they sell 4 HD upgrades at $599 per every 1 HD upgrade at $999, they are already almost $1400 ahead of that 1 $999 HD sale at selling a product that isn't gonna cost them anything else to reproduce to meet demand. Where is the loss if those 4 HD users would have never upgraded at the price of $999 anyway? Perfect example, I'll take it back to the iphones. Things are selling like hot cakes and it's because it's a great product for the money you spend, not just because it's popular to say I have an iPhone. I've tried many smart phones and the iPhone is just better, and it's reasonably priced. I actually think it's pretty cheap with a 2 year contract for what it does and what you get, even though it costs $299 (32GB) just like the PT10 upgrade. Do you know how many people would buy new iPhones every year if they had to pay the full $600-700 price? Not nearly as many as there are at $200-300 I'm sure. And remember, they are paying people to code new software upgrades that are given out for FREE annually. And they have bug fix updates in between and they constantly have to pay some one to keep finding and patching jailbreak exploits. But because of their success, guess what else?! Apple is HIRING! And guess what else again?! The prices haven't gone up since they debuted 5 years ago! And the phones have gotten WAY better! And we're are talking physical product here that continually costs them money to reproduce. If you do enough to sell the current product, it'll ensure your future products do well, provided you remain innovative and consistent. Apple is living proof of that.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15