View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Let's clear the air, folks...

Maybe why every one is really mad is that at the lowest HD level, the HD Native card at $3495 costs as much as a new 8 Core Mac Pro which in my opinion costs more to manufacture. Just look at the parts costs alone not to mention all the productivity software that comes with a new Mac, which I am sure also cost billions to develop. When you throw in another $399 for software like Studio One which is fast and nimble and 64bit and any of the under $1K interfaces, even Avid's own MBox Pro . . . you still come out ahead.

We are the biggest ProTools facility in our market. Yes we drank the cool aid and are moving on to PT10. But I want Avid management to know, the only reason for us upgrading is because as I really liked what I saw in PT10. My partners did not see any worth while improvement and did not want to do it. Our editors and mixers saw the launch and did not want it. Our Fortune 500 clients will not pay one cent more for it, and being in extreme cost cutting mode want to pay us even less.

Avid still has good people working for them and it pains me how top management had to make some tough decisions to survive. But I want Avid to know that the way they are pricing their products, it would be a hard pill to swallow for even "top of the food chain" facilities like ours.

Avid management, you guys make a great product that holds a unique position in the industry. The PT9 launch and now MC6 has shown you DO know how to make your customers happy. Please keep that in mind and know that your pricing strategy with the current PT10 roll out and killing of legacy hardware support may one day even alienate your biggest fans.
www.hitproductions.net