View Single Post
Old 03-15-2003, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Best Single Channel Preamp?

Quote:
Originally posted by Produceher:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by tomhartman:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Produceher:
Brent Averill 1272
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, nice pre....had one for ages, but finally left it for the UA610 which I like better. <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's really suprising. Most people I know who have that unit say it is great for somethings but horrible for others. Not a great pre when you only have one.

If only getting one pre, I would get the neve.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well that's true of almost everything...I found the Neve, for me, a bit on the dark side. It's certainly a great pre, but perhaps I was just ready for something different.

The UA is colored too, but in a way that just seems to sound great on all the important stuff....vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, and bass and guitar direct through it are amazing, for those times when that's needed. In fact I haven't heard anything it doesn't sound great on, although I don't cut live drums so maybe that's a weakness.

Perfect world would see me with this, and something it's polar opposite, like the Great River (not the new NV series).