View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation / Recording Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
With a high buffer, the only way(on any native system) to record without latency would be with some kind of hardware(direct input) monitoring. I'm not sure if the Orion software allows for this. Remember that the way ADC(delay compensation) works is to make everything later, to match the track with the most latency(so ADC never eliminates latency, it compensates so all tracks stay in alignment with each other). Here are some ways that latency happens:
1-playback buffer(higher=more latency, lower=less latency).
2-A>D and D>A conversion(lower sample rates are around 1.2ms, higher sample rates have less).
3-plugins(some have zero, while others have hundreds or thousands of samples of latency).
4-remember that plugins on a Master track are not compensated for(because they usually do not need to be).
I am in fact using direct monitoring through my Orion 32 (low latency monitoring is active in Pro Tools). Like Ben said, I've always thought that PT automatically compensates for all of this. It certainly used to before I upgraded to the most recent Pro Tools.