View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 11:26 AM

Default Re: PT mixer headroom severely reduced to 20dB over 0dBFS. Bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If it is recorded wrong, record it again and do it right.

I'm surprised a moderator would be so dismissive of another professional's concerns.

And...the issue here is that there seems to be something wrong with the math in clip-gain and audiosuite processes - it may be an edge-case that it has to be 20dB above full scale to flag it (and it's good that it's not in the actual floating point mixer dsp - that would make it *not* an edge case), but clips should be recoverable to literally hundreds of dB above "full scale". If they're not, it indicates a problem with the math, and that should be of concern to the coders, period. If one doesn't have faith in the math of basic operations then it calls into question what *else* might be lurking under the hood to bite you when you're not looking?

If someone who actually is involved in the coding said: "we decided to shuffle those kinds of operations off to a different engine that only allows recovery to 20dB over FS", I'd say fine, but this apparently used to work fine, and AFAICT in a fully floating point environment should still work fine, but appears to have broken in the last couple versions. Again, this will not affect anything I do, but it's very odd.

Please stop dismissing competent engineers' justified concerns, and please stop pointing fingers at the user - this should work correctly...full stop.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6