Thread: School
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: School

Hi Spacemanmatt!

I’m new to this forum, but I might have some insight on this subject.

First a little bit about myself.
As my username might suggest I’m from Norway. I’ve been working in the sound industry for about 15 years and currently I’m the sound course leader at the largest institute for stage and studio in Scandinavia. I also have my own studio practice mainly working in the record industry. Most of my work is mixing.

As people before me has pointed out, attending a sound course will not get you a job. In fact I would say that the best course you could get for that one purpose in mind is taking a "smile course for cabin personnel”.
After all no one likes working with an ass, and to be successful in this industry you have to be likeable. I can say that though you might read about producers, engineers or artists acting like an ass, you can rest assure that they didn’t start as one.

I do agree as some before me have pointed out that the best way into the business is to get practice in a studio with tuition from one or several experienced sound engineers. However, if this is not an option for you I would unlike most of the other answers in this thread recommend that you attend a school. Besides from getting a solid foundation in the art of sound engineering, attending a school will also provide you with a network to the industry as you meet other people with the same interests as you. And with that in mind you should try to find a school as close to home as possible, or be prepared to move... After all, your network will be built in the same area as the school is located.

I would also recommend that whatever you might choose you should buy yourself a simple sound rig. Since you are posting in this forum you might have one already...? Take a listen to "critique my rock mix" under Pro Tools TDM tips and tricks. Great sounding with a minimum of equipment!

I don’t recommend learning on your own from a book. At least learn the basics from someone experienced. There’s a lot more to sound engineering than just tweaking those knobs!