View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Default Purchasing New Computer Questions

My currently am running Pro Tools LE v.8.0 on a:

Processor: Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
Memory: 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

My session workflow is continuously being compromised by error messages such as "Lost communication with hardware interface...try increasing hardware buffer size," and "you are running out of CPU power...try removing some plugins." While I'm not a huge production studio, I know its time to get a bigger fish tank so-to-speak.

Are there any issues to which could and should influence what and when I purchase?

My intensions:

1) In a given session I want to utilize several instances of PT native plugins and a couple instances of more memory intensive plug-ins such as those created by East West.

2) To include Video tracks and have access to up to 128 simultaneous audio tracks - I would purchase the Complete Production Toolkit ($1,995).

My major concerns are:

1) As far as processing power and speed, what differences does it make to have the processing independence created by HDs dedicated DSP cards as opposed to running LE on Apple's lastest very fast processors (Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors) contained in the 8 Core?

2) I was looking at Apple's latest 8 Core (starts at $3299) which comes with 6GB of memory. What confuses me is the fact that everyone says PT can only use up to 3GB. Is it completely meaningless to have all this extra memory if I'm only going to use the computer only for PTs? Is HD the workaround for this built in limit?

3) In reality I will also be using Final Cut Pro as well as Logic 9. Is 6GB of memory enough to handle all 3 applications simultaneously?

When all is taken into consideration:

8 core - $3,299
Complete Production Toolkit - $1,995
Third party memory upgrade (if necessary to run other applications) - variable price (but less than Apple's!)
Third Party Plugins - undecided.

Total - approx. $7,000.

I would be reluctant to spend the approx. $10,000 on HD, and then some for the 3rd party plugins I'm interested in using. I just don't know how soon an even new computer would be "hitting the wall" with the processing I intend to do in the future. In other words, I don't want to purchase the 8 core, Complete Production Toolkit, and plugins, just to find PT LE can't use the necessary memory to run the plugins + increased track count + video. Thanks for any and all advice!