View Single Post
Old 07-07-2022, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Post Production - where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
The overall integrated loudness drops by 6-7 LU in your edit file. It's a lot quieter, which might be okay depending on what the client wants. In my opinion, this is probably undesirable, and if your role is NOT to "mix", you probably want to end up similar level out as in.

That said, an RX "cleanup" should not make it louder, on the other hand. Making something louder is more overt "mixing" but retaining level and making an audio file "clearer" involves more transparent mixing.

Some of your use of, I am guessing Voice or Spectral De-noise and or Dialogue Isolate, is a bit extreme. The original audio is far from perfect, but the drop in level in your edit comes with less intelligibility for me..
The original had some low frequency noise more than high frequency hissing, so you might not need to filter or de-noise the highs. The "esses" in the original are not very harsh, so you probably don't need any de-essing if you used that.

Removing some of the very low frequency noise, and some de-noising, would be appropriate, but so would manual editing in Pro Tools. (Such as, the noises between words or phrases).

For now, your edit is in two words: too much. Lighten up and if there are idiosyncratic noises, try to treat them individually somehow and rely on lower strength full length de-noise (or whichever module) passes, as an example.

Another example specifically: at 1:06 is a phrase which in your edit has a warbled level experience. Do you hear that? It's like something happened dynamically or too extremely right there. It no longer sounds like a clearly read phrase at one "speech volume". In your edit, the "envelope" sounds with artifacts of too intense processing.
I guess this sort of feedback is what I'd expect for a very first time go at audio editing mixing and mastering! Thankyou and I will take that onboard. I have learnt quite a lot since I posted that however.. I've learnt more on loudness metering with LUFS, compression/limiting and editing techniques in Pro Tools. Here is another edit I did recently on a fictitious podcast. Would you like to provide feedback on this?

Original podcast: https://www.mediafire.com/file/qmm3z...ginal.mp3/file
My edit: https://www.mediafire.com/file/1w909...dcast.mp3/file