View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Carbon Fan Noise

Hi Kyle. Thanks so much for coming back to me.

I don’t know what AVB is. However, I am absolutely 100% sure that the fan noise is NOT coming from my Mac Pro (3.3GHz 12-CORE Intel Xeon) but that it’s coming from the front and back of the Carbon. The Omni that I used before (exactly same location) had a similar fan noise but was definitely quieter. The Carbon fan is clearly noticeable and that is when I’ve not even had Pro Tools running e.g. just been listening to music & surfing the web.

I have a simple setup. I have a standard office desk with the Mac Pro on the floor to the right of the desk. In front of me within arms reach is the Carbon with two light TC Reverb 4000s on top and a single computer monitor on top of those. I’ve pushed the unit as far away as possible and moved my microphones further away to minimise the noise.

In a way, I was pleased to read the other thread you kindly sent me as I was beginning to think it was just my unit and the whole thing is upsetting me a bit. If they’re all as noisy as this then I think there will soon be an influx of people with pro studio environments saying the same as I am. I too clearly hear the mechanical transformer clicks when changing sample rates etc. but even before reading the thread you sent me had assumed this was normal and don’t have any issues with these.

The options I’m considering are (I’d really welcome your views):

- Return the unit as faulty - although I absolutely love it apart from the fan noise, which I was thinking is perhaps me expecting too much and a general cooling problem rather than being unique to my unit. It’s a pain to also change my setup again.

- Somehow putting the unit on stilts to improve air flow rather than having it directly on the desk

- ‘Hiding’ the unit under the desk somehow or putting it in a box of some sort so the fan noise is less direct - although this means I couldn’t access the controls very easily and again I’m keen to ensure decent airflow around it

- Put up with it - focusing on all the positives of the unit and simply putting the gate threshold up a bit on my mics - perhaps I’m just expecting too much

As crazy as it sounds I’ve already turned down my room heating in an attempt to keep the unit cooler.

Is there a way to simply turn the fan down a bit or at least see what it’s doing? Is there a way to see the temperature the unit is running at? I remember I had a Kronos keyboard that had a noisy fan and I was given a setting to turn it down and it’s been perfectly near silent ever since.

Thank you for your (and anyone else’s) help. I’ve several friends in the industry and have to admit that at the moment I’m struggling to recommend this product. For me, it’s superb but noisy.