View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 04:11 PM

Default Re: To Dock or not to Dock?

Kind of a tough call for anyone else to make for you. I would suggest getting an iPad and experimenting some. A used 2nd gen can be found for less than $200 and while it may NOT be compatible with the DOCK,(Avid recommends an iPad air2, I believe), it still runs the PTControl app fine(so you can get a good idea of what goodies are addressable from the iPad). In theory, the S3 can do nearly everything without the DOCK, but the DOCK does add a lot of handy control(focus fader, automation modes, transport.....). In any case, it will change the way you work if you dig in deep enough. Having worked for several years without faders, I added an Artist Mix here and find I don't reach for it nearly as much as I thought I would(old habits die hard).

also, take a look at the Presonus Faderports(the older single-fader model still gets plenty of use here) and the new Faderport8 has a lot going for it for a fraction of the S3(in fact, the DOCK, with a new iPad 2 AIR and the Faderport8 is still less than just the S3)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave