View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 02:48 PM

Default Re: BUG: automation doesn´t follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBP View Post
I think this has been mentioned before the issue seems to be copying between RTAS and TDM versions of the same plug in. The issue is compounded by the system sometimes changing the type of plug in when you reopen the session or import tracks. Such that a plug in that was RTAS reverts to the TDM version.

It is easy to reproduce this case.

1- Start with a blank session and add two tracks.
2- on track 1 place any TDM plug in.
3- on track 2 place the same plug in but use the RTAS version (both plug ins must be in the same slot).
4- place some audio onto track 1 and record automation for the plugin.
5- copy the data from track 1 and paste onto track 2.

What you expect to happen is that the audio and automation data will now be on both tracks -this will not be the case -Automation data will not follow from a TDM plugin to a RTAS version or vise versa.

The fix is to ensue you use only one type -but note that if you choose RTAS the system may switch some tracks to TDM after you have reopened the session or imported tracks. -If you get the message 'plug in parameters do not match....' then you have a problem.

NB plug in data can only be copied between matching slots -ie track 1 EQ3 (7band) on slot 1 to track 2 EQ3 (7band) on slot 1 -trying to paste data from track one slot one to track two slot 2 will not work.

Hope this helps

Bruno
I think it has more to do with RTAS then it does TDM.

My Master BG session, which my editor cut from, had already been leveled, panned and eq'ed.

It was RTAS REQ 6. Dragging the imported Edited BGs from that master session (which was the same exact layout as my master template) resulted in the EQ automation disappearing.

My only solution was to just use the imported BG session data.

It still doesn't account for why it is doing this.

What you say makes some sense as my dialog predub session was all TDM versions, and everything copied across.

There are 2 other "automation follows edit" bugs as well. The condition is if the breAkpoints are on the very absolute edge of a region.

1) set breakpoints for all plugins for 1 hour
2) highlight a region with a fade
3) set preview
4 ) set EQ
5) punch preview and write to selected

Go down 10 minutes into your session. Your EQ should be flat.

Now extend the fade. Go down 10 minutes into the session. Look at your EQ.
Your EQ is no longer flat at 10 minutes. It is a long glide until the last break point in the session.
Open up one of the EQ parms and watch as you extend the fade, and it blows away the break point.

Number two:

If I remember correctly, this effects volume and plugins.

Go to the center of a region (remember, break points need to be at the very edge of the region)
Split the region.
Pull the region out.
The automation break point does not follow. So if you have a volume at -20 and the break point brings it back up to 0, the point from where you dragged the region out will now be at 0.

Very embarrassing when you have a major executive producer in the room, your doing a music edit and the volume jumps 20 dB.

Luckly, I found this into the 3rd episode of a series.

The only work around I have found for #1, is to select around the region (not the region itself) and punch/fill.

Then the breakpoints will follow, though I have seen a few times when I've been within a few frames of the edge of the region where it still broken the automation point.

Or, don't EQ. LOL. Yeah right.

LEX