View Single Post
Old 09-08-2022, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Intermediate question regarding the use of more than one Master Fader

It's all cool Dave:)

All of this answered my question which really came from reading an article that was written in the days of PT LE!
Since there is the option to create any number of Master faders I became curious as to why.

Then I read the section on Master faders in the PT ref guide and it mentioned using a Master fader to taper multiple signals going into an aux when sub-mixing. So I thought maybe that article wasn't entirely out of date.
Hence, my post.

I do understand that 32/64 bit processing provides more than ample headroom so maybe they should update that part of the ref guide on clipping an aux channel saying this is less of a concern with the latest processing ability.
I also saw someone post about how an aux channel in their session wouldn't red light anymore.
I'll have to read that again but I understand it's because of 32/64bit processing under the hood.

You guys also answered my question as to how audio is still passed without a Master fader.

There's been times I've instantiated an instrument and started playing forgetting to employ a Master fader.
It piqued my curiosity and I started thinking maybe having a Master fader had something to do with making the PT audio engine work more efficiently or something.
Then wondering if an MF is required to taper the signal (change the word length) or sum the signals digitally. IDK

I see how it's more a visual than anything and that multiple Master faders are also used to send signals to outboard gear.

Anyhow, my post was more out of curiosity than concern about clipping.
Using PT with one Master fader works fine for my songwriting & demo sessions.

Thanks for sharing your insights!
You guys are the business.

And just to clarify on Ben's behalf:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
*POST* fader
I believe Ben was referring to pre-fader processing as the option one has when using an Aux as a Master as opposed to using a traditional Master with post-processing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post

I've always used an aux as my master. I route everything thru it and it goes to my main outs. I could have not had a masterfader at all, just the aux, but I usually crate one just to have a volume control, any "masterfader plugins" goes on the aux, and I keep the aux fader at -0db.

It has several advantages, plugins being pre-fader, more flexible routing ++.
And yes, pre & post-processing logistics are yet another reason whether or not to opt for an additional Master.

Thanks for your input Jannes.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 09-12-2022 at 09:48 PM.