View Single Post
Old 12-24-2002, 01:40 AM

Default fat16, fat32 or ntfs?

I posted yesterday a question about Intel chipset 850E and ATTO card. It seems now that the problem comes from the ATTO card and the format of the scsi drives. Here is my experience: I decided to replace both my motherboard (from Intel to ASUS 1.4 Ghz) and my scsi controller (from Adaptec to ATTO). After having configured the bios of the motherboard and the ATTO EpressPCI DC scsi card following DIgi recommendations, I formatted my drives in FAT32 as recommended by Digi. No problem to read files, but when I tried to record, It took forever to begin recording and one time on 2, the record stopped and PT froze for a while (2mn or so). I checked hundred of times the ATTO config, the scsi termination, etc.. tried different options for the same result. I decided to put back my Adaptec controller: the problem didn't occur, but I still had this 2 or 3 seconds of waiting before the record began. I decided to re-format my drives in FAT16: NO MORE PROBLEMS!!!! I tried recording 32 tracks at a time, it worked perfectly. Thus I will keep this config for now, but of course I would prefar using my ATTO card, since i would get two scsi buses instead of one (my adaptec has got only one internal wide-connector) Did anybody experienced the same problems? Do you know if FAT16 gives less performance than FAT32 or NTFS? Thanks in advance for your contribution. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL>>