View Single Post
Old 01-11-2001, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Convince Me That 5.1 Surround Is A Benefit

I'm in the process of mixing in 7.2 (I started 5.1 and then bumped it up - front/rear subs and 2 mid/side speakers) for a kinda cirque type show in Tokyo. It is very tribal with drums and percussion surrounding all around you. The actual venue will actually have 24 discrete speakers with an LCS matrix system to "move" stuff around the theater.

I gotta tell you, this is the first time I have really had a chance to do some cool things with 5.1 (or surround in general), and if the music calls for it - as this did (kinda being out in the jungle with tribal drummers and percussionists surrounding you) - it is EXTREMELY cool. It almost made me weep. I got so excietd I wanted to call up all my friends and have them come over and check it out. After being in this biz long before Digi was an just idea located in somebody's garage, anything that makes me feel like that is AOK in my opinion.

If it doesn't work for you type of music, fine, but it isn't going away. After you experience an artful surround mix you're going to want it in your house. The only problem is talking your wife into where to put the sub and 3 extra speakers!

drBill