View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 5 System

The fastest G4’s were the mirror drive door (MDD) models. They were super loud because they ran so hot. You can modify them with quieter fans, but they are still noisy unless you do some serious hacking. The last mdd I owned I stripped down to the metal frame, and then drilled a ton of 1” holes in it to vent it better. Then I mounted a giant 250mm fan on both sides of the case. This seemed to keep it running much cooler. The 1.42ghz model had a copper heat sink on the cpu which will help the 1.25 or 1.0ghz models run cooler as well.

Not sure how much cpu speed matters with these, but I never bothered with RTAS on those old systems, I think having as many cards as you can fit in your machine and running all tdm plugs is the best way to use a mix system. I don’t remember much difference in using pro tools with the 400mhz g4 vs the dual 1.25ghz. The pt5 software is super stable and easy to use, and there were some great plugins back then if you still have the floppy disks needed to authorize them.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?