View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 AM

Default Should I upgrade my current Pro Tools system; please advise

Hello.

I'm using Mbox 2 Mini in my personal studio for abt. 5 years now. It originally came with Pro Tools 7 which I've later crossgraded to Pro Tools 8 LE. Lately I'm thinking about upgrading both the hardware and the software in the near future, but first I would like to hear some input from other users to help me decide. So here we go.

I'm primarily interested in composing and producing of instrumental music, ranging from solo piano work to the arrangements of various size and MIDI orchestration. I mostly work with virtual instruments, but also occasionaly use hardware synths and keyboards as well as electric and accoustic guitars. I'm not very interested in recording vocals in my home studio, though I'm planning to purchase studio-grade mic in the future.

So to summarize:

- I mostly work solo; I'm not interested in recording bands and larger ensembles;
- I work with MIDI the most often, although I do need HQ audio recording from external sources from time to time.

Taking this into consideration, do you think that upgrading to say new Mbox (non-mini) and Pro Tools 9 for a start is a good investment and will make a big difference in this case?

Thank you for your help in advance.