View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Control Surface - Command 8 vs. Mackie Universal??

The lack of scribble strips is what put me off that unit…

It’s the same thing that made me never use my old BControl, that, and when I could be bothered to work out which track I was controlling (usually by only allowing that fader to show or by flashing the mute button with the mouse…) ((also with that particular unit you have to fight it whist changing automation as it is not touch sensitive…))

Without scribble strips it slows me down to the point where the controller becomes pointless as it’s quicker for me to mouse. & as I work on a 24 channel controller (Control|24 at work, Command|8, at home) I know that the 24 channels of the Tascam without the scribble strips would be much, much more confusing for me & plug-in changes would be so slow & complex (without sight of individually button/fader functions) they would be impractical if not almost impossible…

The Mackie is a great unit, and if I had to use other software like logic, cubase or sonar on a day to day basis as well as PT it would have been a much more serious option for me.

But now a days I only use Pro Tools & I wanted a controller where every single button & function was designed to get the best out of the Pro Tools software, I wanted something that would always be compatible & that I wouldn’t be left high & dry for months because the companies fell out or a new OS came out . Also if Digi bring out a new controller to replace the Command|8 they are going to offer me a sensible hardware exchange price, so my investment is as safe as it can be in this uncertain world…

N