View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Crunchy distortion with 002 rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Uh oh. Unfortunately you are confused about Thunderbolt, which is easy to do. I suspect you will want to return the PreSonus Quantum 2626 asap and make sure you get your money back.

USB-C is just a physical connector spec, what a USB-C port delivers you have to always be careful of.

Your ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) motherboard has a USB-C connector, I believe delivering 3.2 Gen 2 but not Thunderbolt. And I don't think your motherboard has a Thunderbolt header (and no BIOS support?) to allow you to add a Thunderbolt adapter card (but check with ASUS or your system builder). Thunderbolt is Intel developed technology, and AMD processor motherboards had no support for Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt add-in cards (which ASUS do make at least for other motherboards) until fairly recently.

There are lots of nice Thunderbolt interfaces out there, but Thunderbolt on Windows is unfortunately not great at times, so even if your PC had Thunderbolt it's also maybe a good idea to check folks are using any exact Windows Thunderbolt setup with a particular Thunderbolt interface.

All of which I was skipping over by suggesting you look at USB interfaces.
Well..yes you are correct. It IS easy to screw this up with USB-3. The PreSonus site states "Quantum 2626 is a Thunderbolt 3 compatible interface that uses the USB Type-C connector."and this " Windows 10 is the first Microsoft Operating System to fully support the Thunderbolt protocol" but further digging seems to tap into your explanation above.