View Single Post
Old 06-07-2002, 08:55 AM

Default Re: noticeable difference w/ scsi?

I agree a ton of through put from the SCSI drive is not important but I am not sure the extra access time is wasted. I think it depends on how you are using PT LE.

What kind of Buffer settings are you guys using for the DAE? I like to us "0" ... so when I hit the space bar the things plays right now.

The way I use PT for editing radio and Tv audio is I am constantly editing small little sections of audio, cut, trim and I am constantly hiting the space bar to play.. And well the slower the ramp up on the drives the larger the buffer you need to use. Especially with the sessions I am using that might have a bunch of small audio files.

That is why for our new PT LE system we are building I am considering a SCSI. I really only need a small one since I only work on 30 and 60 sec spots....(sometimes with many SFXs they can be 15+ tracks)

Then when I am done with a spot it is "compacted" and put on an archive hardrive.

So this allows me to be as sloppy as I want and waste Hard drive space on the "working" drive and then not have to worry about running out of drive space.

Sometimes a Radio spot that is complicated might end up being a total of 1 gig of audio... but then once I finish it and compact down to just what audio is actually being used I end up cutting it down to around 50 MB and then I archive.... this way instead of only being able to have maybe 80 spots on an 80 Gig drive I can have what around 1600!! Makes it really nice when a client wants a one line change or revision in a radio/tv spot.

So for faster editing on the working drive I am thinking about a 9.1MB 10k SCSI 160 drive and just scale the through put back to around 50mb/sec.

I can buy a 9.1 drive for around $80.00 and PCI card for $170.00 so it is not dirt cheap but isn't way out there in price especially if it allows PT to keep up with my editing without the lag of a big buffer...

comments/input appreciated
1000 Esplanade
Chico,CA 95926
(530)891-1988
[email protected]