View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Convince me to get an 11R instead of an Axe Fx II - ver. 11

The Axe FX II is also a 2x4 USB audio interface and will work with Pro Tools or any other DAW, including reamping via the USB inputs. So the 6x8 capabilities of the Eleven rack are a little better, but if you are going to do much serious stuff you are going to use either of these boxes as outboard digital processors hanging off more capable interfaces. And when doing that the Axe FX II only runs at 48kHz which may or may not be an issue to you. The Axe-Edit GUI works stand alone/with all DAWs and a new improved version of that is coming out, you can download and play with it without having an Axe FX even connected (that will give you a feel for the vast configurability of that box).

The Axe FX will work with any Midi foot controller, their own MFC-101 controller is just a little more set up for the Axe FX (but it will also drive other boxes, including the Eleven Rack). It is priced competitively with similar capability controllers.

Avid's version of Cliff was Chris Townsend, he left Avid a while ago, as did apparently most of the rest of the Eleven Rack team. I doubt you will see much good new things for the Eleven Rack unless Chris is consulting to Avid to develop them, I have no idea what he is doing.

Don't forget you will likely want one or maybe a pair of nice high-power full range monitors, as well (which will cost more than an Eleven Rack, so etching like a pair of QSC K10.

For live work the Axe FX II has benefits over the Eleven Rack, it has that well integrated foot controller in the MFC-101, and more flexible signal routing/control for driving on-stage monitors and FOH.