View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Default Going crazy over sound-quality in PT vs Logic

Okey, so i just bought Logic Pro, and i am truly truly sorry to say that i like it better then Pro Tools (i hate the fact that i like it better).

The reason being very simple as to why i like it better; EVERYTHING sounds louder and more in your face, and almost "pre-mixed" inside Logic Pro.
Now just to be clear i am using exactly the same plugins inside of Pro Tools as i am in Logic Pro, but for some reason everything sounds louder and better inside of Logic instead of Pro Tools LE 8.0.5.
It just sounds like your putting all of your sounds through a "process-factory" or something and it just sounds commercial right away.
It feels like i am making music inside of a cheap toy, and thatīs why i just canīt stand that everything sounds better, because itīs not supposed to (according to the price-tag)
I hate the fact that itīs better because the feeling of Pro Tools is much more "open" and has a better layout of all the functions i need (for my taste).
And i use Xpand 2 alot.

But even recording vocals and acoustic/electric guitars sounds better, it just sits better, and faster inside Logic and the mix. In Pro Tools i feel like i am using a big shell with plenty of opportunities, but only if you know how to mix properly, set levels and route busses correctly. In Logic it seems like all of this is pre-done for you and all you have to do is play. Then throw on a few EQīs and compressors and your done. Iīve been scratching my head going crazy over how to get that commercial loud, "in-the-box" sound, and along comes Logic Pro and i finally see instantly why people have better mixes then me.
Itīs frustrating because i feel like Logic Pro is so much cheating! And as much as i wanna learn how to mix and use Pro Tools properly, i also want to have great sounding music right away

I have no idea why this is, but could it be that Logic Pro has a 32-bit floating point and can support 64-Bit plugins?
I wanted to get PT 10, but i am really on the fence about it now because of this late discovery.

Also i would like to add that bouncing a track in Pro Tools 8 makes it sound worse (lifeless) and reduces the volume drastically, but when bouncing in Logic Pro the track actually sounds louder, better mixed and with more life to it, then inside the DAW. And thatīs with nothing on the master buss!

PS!
This is not a Logic Pro vs. Pro Tools thread, itīs only about the sound quality of the two!