View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 PM

Default Re: I need more memory access for VI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry3232010 View Post
I have read the Propellerhead Rewire link, but I do not fully understand. Maybe you can confirm: you mean that I run Protools as normal, but that I SEND a signal to REAPER via REWIRE - and that REWIRE is a plug in. So I remain working within Protools?
Pro Tools is the boss in this relationship. Rewire is a plug-in which you insert as usual in Pro Tools. Pro Tools sends and receives information from Reaper. You can set up 256 different channels within Rewire (more than Pro Tools actually supports).

So, say you have a piano synth you want to run but you don't have the memory available within Pro Tools. You create a new track and insert a Rewire plug-in. You have to do a bit of setting up for Rewire on both sides, but ignore that for the moment.

In Reaper, you create a track and you insert the VST synth. Reaper's output is now Rewire.

When you go back to Pro Tools, and you hit "play", it will control both transports.

This is dated and shows it using Reason, but the concepts are the same. I use Reason for all of my VI, and use Rewire extensively. It is a fantastic tool. With Reaper being so cheap... it is a no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry3232010 View Post
Sorry to be such a dope, because your reply was so concise. I will do my homework if you send me any more links.
No worries at all.