View Single Post
Old 12-29-2021, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Default Ouput I/O greyed out

From your profile: 2019 MacBook Pro. So Intel, not M1.

I don't understand your screenshots: You are aggregating all these (messed up) devices in the Pro Tools aggregate but are then Selecting "H4" as the playback engine.. you need to select the Pro Tools Aggregate device.

Has this ever worked for you on Catalina (which I assume your MBP came with)? What changed? Was this Mac in-situ upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur or did you do a full clean install? If you have no other options you could try a full clean test install of Catalina or Big Sur in a new APFS container or external drive. And just see if the device behaves, you could also just try connecting it to other Macs ideally with different macOS versions and see what devices show up.

Class compliant devices that are split and always require aggregation and are best avoided with Pro Tools (that's different than past bugs in macOS that would split devices that should not be, maybe this is a new macOS bug).

I don't think Zoom ever had dedicated drivers for these devices, but if you ever installed any USB audio drivers for anything I'd uninstall them. And as you are doing. just have the minimal number of USB devices connected.

I suspect you are better off following up with Zoom, and this probably is not a Pro Tools issue. Or try finding out if other Zoom H4n Pro users also see these spurious devices on macOS. Chances of many folks with a Zoom H4n Pro stumbling onto your question here is low. Google search may be the best tool.

BTW you mentioned you tried to test just the devices by themselves... that likely won't work with input only devices... might even get Pro Tools to crash... Pro Tools alway needs an output device, if the device does not have them then aggregate IO is needed.

If you can't get this sorted out. Good basic interface options start with things like the Focusrite 2i2... also class compliant, but very widely used including with Pro Tools. If say the 2i2 was widely misbehaving like this you would see many many posts here on DUC about it.

And finally this really has nothing to do with this existing thread, spamming other threads like this makes a mess of stuff here and does not help you. Please in future create a new thread for things like this. And naming that thread something about Zoom device problems might have got you many more helpful looks. But please don't do that now you have already posted here.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-29-2021 at 03:07 PM.