View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 02:34 PM

Default Re: External Pre Amps

You'd see pictures of this stuff in magazines for years. Guys with great consoles with racks of other high end pre's, compressors, and eq's. Bringing the recording studio signal path to sit next to the live console. It would be interesting to hear what they're getting that was not possible with the Venue itself. I used to understand some banks of high end pre's like Millenia Media, Neve (emulations), API, Summit, etc. when you know something specifically you're trying to do and have no other way to get it. I had all this stuff and now it's all gone.

Spending time with getting guitar sounds (Eleven, amp farm and other plugs) that are additional channels with the in-line with the mic'd amp - I'm showing guitar players I can accomplish some very interesting and likable sonic signatures that are almost impossible micing an amp through any preamp because of the control you have over the signal inside the Venue. And the list goes on and on...

There was one lingering thing.... but now that's gone too...I play Bass and for the longest time I used a "high end" signal path of a Universal Audio LA-610, Distressor, and Manley Enhanced Pultec feeding the Venue. Lots of tube harmonics. Phat! One day I had the idea of trying to "get my sound" from the Venue. It took about 4 hours of screwing around with the myriad of plug in's (which I did) and wound up with what I was certain (and my sound engineers agreed) was an improved sound in every way with the Cranesong Phoenix and Waves C4 (on the bass de-esser preset with a few tweaks.)

For my 2-cents (errrr, maybe it costs more than 2 cents) I've found the Venue to be a platform to create any sound I'm looking for including the sounds from other gear I used to lug around.