View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 02:33 PM

Default Re: HDX And DSP Cache

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Hey Kingfish, are you using HDX on a Harpertown Mac?

Also, how are you getting along with hardly any DSP plugins for tracking?
Yes, Werner... I am using HDX on a Harpertown, although not supported, i'm not going to run out and grab a 12 core Westmere, until i KNOW it's the last MacPro Ever made, OR it's replacement is announced (And I'll buy that one)

I've got 3 iLoks, all pretty much a "Clone" of my workflow, so when I travel, I've got all my plugs with me, without shutting down one of the working studio rooms. each one is worth at least $10k, and took me a decade to accumulate... every time I wanted a plugin, or package, it cost me 3x as much... $30k in Plugs, that are worth about $500.00 on the e-bay / used market.

I'm tired of babysitting 3rd party plugins, updates, incompatibilities, and it always costs me 3x the cost, to Upgrade.

I'm using this move to HDX as an excuse to clean up my workflow... Waves bailed on DSP AAX development "For now" as a priority, that helped my decision to see how much i could really do, with ALOT less.

I lucked out with timing, and JUST handed in 2 records I'd had in progress for 1/2 a year, and STARTED 3 new records, So... I'm cleaning up my workflow.

I'm using Avid ChannelStrip DSP everywhere, as my main "Workhorse Plugin" Replacing my previous MetricHalo CS, for Gate, EQ, Compression, Sidechaining etc... It sounds good to me, albeit I wish it had at least a 24db range, (12 DB is too subtle "Sweeping / looking for things")

There are a few character, and "Magical tools" I need to keep around, but I'm trying to create many Mod Dly III presets that emulate what some of the other Delay plugins I've accumulated do, with a fair amount of success.

I'd have a pretty hard time giving up SoundToys, but I've spoken with them directly, and they are pretty committed to AAX / DSP so, for now, I'm using them as Native, and I'm almost at the end of my 1st run of mixes, using only

- Avid ChanelStrip DSP
- Sound Toys Native
- Mod DLY III
- Dynamic Spectrum Mapper (Which has always been Native)
- ReverbOne DSP
- SPL Transient Designer (Native till AAX DSP)

And I seem to Still have lots of Native, and DSP headroom left to grow, on some pretty big sessions. The biggest problem, is going "Back to HD, or Native", running all the ChannelStrips, Mod DLY III's, Dyn3 Deesser's etc... ALL convert to Native, these sessions are choking "Back platform" attempts at working on these sessions.

I'm going to try to move forward with just the basics, from McDSP, Sound Toys, and Avid.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App

Last edited by KingFish; 01-29-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Grammar