View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Edit window and cpu usage

It is a pretty well known and early discovered issue.
Here is more about the PT8 CPU Usage problems:
PT8 CPU Usage
Welcome to the club

These are some of my posts from that thread:
(...)
On average 30% usage of the quad core CPU (Intel Q6600 on Asus P5K Deluxe + graphics on Radeon HD2600Pro) with Edit and Mix windows opened and extended over 2 monitors.
When minimized , usage goes to ca. 3% (!!!). Opened (maximized) jumps up to ca. 30%.
Even when I'm running a session of 20+up audio tracks with very limited EFX (dverb, 2 delays) the usage stays at almost the same (?!) level of around 30%...
(...)
When I minimized PT Mix and Edit windows or opened anything on top of it, I had no problems anymore ...

As I mentioned in my previous posts, the Windows Task Manager with opened PT Edit and Mix windows - with no activity (no playback, no playing VIs, etc...) - is showing 30+% CPU Usage although the PT CPU Usage indicator is very low.

I have a multiboot system based on Intel quad Q6600, ASUS P5K DeLuxe WiFi (disabled), Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB 128-bit, ARK 4U-500-CA Black 4U Rackmount Case... 002R.
... So I tried my boot with PT 7.4 on it and... the problems were gone !!! Windows Task Manager CPU Usage stays below 8%. Playing even complex VI's does not even touch it! Everything is rock solid.
(...)
= = =
I checked both, MoBo onboard firewire and approved PCI Firewire card - NO DIFFERENCE, the same problem.
We (in this thread) are using different GFX cards, so the problem is not related to it.
= =

Robert

PT Native 8, 002R, Intel quad Q6600, ASUS P5K DeLuxe WiFi (disabled), RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB DDR2 1066), Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB 128-bit, ARK 4U-500-CA Black 4U Rackmount Case...

Intel quad Q6600, ASUS P5K DeLuxe WiFi, Radeon HD Gfx cards, 3 LCD monitors, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP, Win 7x64, REAPER 64bit, Wavelab.