View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Protools stops working overnight?

I'm running Pro-tools M-Powerered 7.1 on OS X 10.4.1 with 1 GB RAM. I've had this same setup for over a year, and I've never had any serious problems with it.

I was recording a band one day and I had no problems carrying out relatively computer intensive tasks in pro tools (recording 8 or so tracks at a time with a buffer size of 256 and the DAE playback on level 8.) We finished the recording session without any problems.

The next day, I had another band come to record. Nothing had changed since the previous day and i even had more memory on my hard drive, but I had a lot of problems recording. i started out recording 8 tracks at a 256 buffer size. After about twenty seconds of recording, it would stop and i would get a DAE playback error. I tried increasing the buffer size to 512 then 1024 and eventually just recording 3 tracks at a time. I still would only get about twenty seconds of audio recorded before i got the playback error.

Also, even when mixing previously recorded sessions, pro tools begins to run very slowly after adding some plug-ins and it makes it near impossible to bounce. i haven't changed anything in the way i mix

Nothing i tried has worked yet and i'm confused as to what would cause such a drastic change in such a short period of time.