View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 08:40 AM

Default Re: PT mixer headroom severely reduced to 20dB over 0dBFS. Bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
I'm not sure that's what it means at all. The 'mixer' seems to be OK as you can increase gain with faders all you want without issue - something specific to this particular method (audiosuite, clip gain) is creating the issue, no? Anyway, not enough time to really go down this rabbit hole right now - again, I don't think this affects my workflow as I can't imagine why I'd ever want to clip-gain something 20dB over full scale, but I'm curious to see what's really happening.
Could be. The OP said "The same issue occurs using any other method when you go past +20dB within the Protools mixer, like having 2x +12dB trim on a track.

Delving deeper into this, it looks like any sample OVER +20dB is processed as -INF. So it's not digital clipping where anything over +20 is just clipped at +20."

I saw the first statement and jumped to my original conclusion. But the second statement seems to contradict the first and to introduce the idea of an overflow bug in the mixer code. I'm in the middle of a project involving 16 hours of content or I'd do some experiments to see what's really happening to the waveform.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB