View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 08:52 AM

Default Re: GUI short freeze and beachball still on 2021.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbottomend View Post
To give some perspective on the OS update method of troubleshooting: I am the opposite of those that advocate this approach. I have done maybe 2 of these in my 18 years of using Pro Tools HD/Ultimate as a post production mixer - that's been my sole income source, as in every day use, running multiple rigs over dozens of OS iterations. Huge sessions, lots of plug-ins. So when things haven't been running properly, it was usually a result of either 3rd party software, or conflicts between Mac OS and PT. These clean installs may possibly make your systems run better, but they are a time consuming pain in the bum IMHO, and only to be used as a last resort if your software won't work AT ALL. (And I would try making a new user profile every time before going down this path.)

Anyway, as per my previous post on this thread, can someone who uses Waves 12.7 please confirm my hypothesis? I've reached out to their support team but I'd like some backup...

Thanks!
Nathan
I've been closely watching this situation and I also suspected an issue with waves. I can tell you I've seen the beachball happen on sessions without waves plugins, so I don't think that waves is the issue.

The one thing that seems to consistently trigger it is scrolling quickly through the mix or edit window. The scrolling is choppy at the best of times, and occasionally will freeze. I've seen this on plugin-less sessions.

I'm using 2021.7 . I'm getting far fewer beachballs with this version than I did with 2021.6 . I'm sticking with .7 for now since it's tolerable and gives me extra i/o . Occasionally I boot into 2021.3.1 when I need video.

Re: the "clean install" issue. I tried and it did not work for me. The one person here who is suggesting that persistently, should you ask them to clarify how their system works, will tell you that they are basing the suggestion on running a test session where they record blank audio. In my opinion this isn't a valid basis for that suggestion, since there's no correlation between that testing method and any type of real-world professional pro tools use case.

I understand the concept that doing a clean install will rule out user-specific or system-specific problems. However, this bug is widespread & consistent enough that it would be a remarkable coincidence that it's actually just thousands of unique system-specific bugs all yielding the same problems.