View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Default Re: hdx aaxdsp is dying

I’ve been on hdx for about a week now. Still working out a few kinks but mostly it has been fantastic. By far the most stable system I’ve used in years.

I had out grown my tdm hd6 rig. I was being forced out by os updates, lack of developer support, running out of voices, running out of memory, crashes when maxed out...it was just time.

For me, I’ve been planning the jump for years and it was the cheapest way to go. With the exception of the avid update plan, similar to waves wup which I look at as an insurance slash/support package, I already had the pt 12hd software natively (for years) and was using it for heavy vocal editing that I could not do in pt 10hd. In that I have been on pro tools since v5 I had gotten to the point that I owned about 95% of the tdm plugins ever made (which was one of the reasons that I waited so long) but my native collection eventually dwarfed my tdm collection and a lot of the native stuff had aax versions included. I already had interfaces (2 192’s, hd 16i/o, Omni, apogee trak 2)...so the only missing piece was the hdx card which I got for under 2k.

The last 2 things I might do is upgrade my cpu in my cheese grater Mac pro to a 3.46 12 core which is about $300 and maybe go to 128 gigs of ram.

Between the hdx card, uad Octo and native 64 bit power there isn’t another system out there for me. And yes, for the most part the aaxdsp plug that are available are good but the lack of aaxdsp support and options will mean the lack of interest and cost effectiveness of the platform. If you are as good as the food you eat and you stop eating the food...you will eventually die.

Pro tools hdx is really only as good as the plugins that you can run on it. There in no point in having all the horsepower it has if there are very few plugins that use it...regardless of how good the other features are. Avid has been asleep at the wheel for some time which is why a cheaper solution such as uad which had less power, not as great specs and worse converters has been able to dominate.

It is all bout the plugins just as the iPhone is all about the apps.