View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Looking forward to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_9 View Post
Joshua, just to be clear, the LT-FW card is an firewire AUDIO INTERFACE installed in the Aurora? The Aurora alone is just conversion correct?

So if I assume correctly, you get premium conversion with the Lynx Aurora, and up to 32 channels of i/o with the LT-FW card?

Is this the way it works?
Theoretically, yes. 16 channels of AD/DA conversion, plus 16 channels of AES/EBU digital I/O. Then all of that should stream to the computer via the LT-FW firewire connection, using the proper firmware and drivers. The latest version of the LT-FW firmware limits it to 16 channels over firewire due to some stability issues, but the older firmware is still available from their website and they say it should work fine if you have a compatible firewire chipset. Since Pro Tools and the Digi interfaces have always been pretty finicky about the firewire chipset I think I'm OK in this regard, and indeed the computer can see the Aurora and reports everything as being fine. I can use the first 8 channels of AD/DA as the Windows soundcard without a problem in a 7.1 configuration (although I have it set up as stereo so I'm really only using the first two). The problem right now comes from the ASIO drivers from the Aurora not having a Pro Tools-compatible buffer setting. I've heard of people using ASIO4all to get past this but that doesn't seem to work for me. I'll have to read up on it more and check my configuration. I'm hoping for an Aurora driver update or a Pro Tools update to make the two more compatible directly, though.