Thread: MTRX Studio
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 09:23 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio

Hi all,

So I'm planning to upgrade my studio soon'ish and one of the checklist is getting a Mtrx studio interface. The goal here is to streamline everything and keep it as simple and efficient as possible. I can definitely troubleshoot any technical issues (perhaps way longer than it should be), but home/office network is definitely my weakest link. Since I run everything myself, I need to make sure should any issues arise, I can tackle it head on and not lose valuable hours of mix time.

On that note, here's what I'm currently running.

-Digi 003 (oh yea, it's still rockin hard)
-HP z840
-2 S1
-1 iPad tablet running the Avid control app
-SPL Surround monitor controller

The Digi 003 is my interface and I connect it via firewire to my HP z840. There's two NIC ports and I have one connected to the internet. The other port from my computer goes into a router (dedicated to the S1) that has 4 ports. Two of those ports are being connected to my two S1. It's a pretty straightforward setup and hasn't let me down.

I would like to upgrade to the mtrx studio, but I'm in the middle of a project and I don't want to introduce any anomalies. Ideally, I would like the process to take a few hours to setup and start running like nothing has changed.

I realize I may need a switch to connect my eucon devices, because I believe AVID recommends a dedicated port for the mtrx studio, which will be my second port in the computer. If that's the case, do I connect the main ethernet cable to a switch, then from the switch to my main NIC port in my computer, then the other remaining ports from the switch to my eucon devices? The second NIC port will then be connect to the mtrx studio.

Ultimately, what should I be aware of and on the lookout for? Are there any booby traps to keep in mind? Any network configuration I need to apply since a switch is now being implemented? Sorry for the long post, but as you all know, any substantial investment on gear can be nerve wrecking. Thanks a bunch!